Dear Mom

Dear Mom,

You deserve so much more than the world ever offered you. 

I haven't been a very good daughter. I stay out late, my grades aren't up to par and I'm either never around or always asleep for family days. I used to wonder if you worried about me and my younger brother. You work late nights and travel overseas for work often. You're seldom around.

Once, you asked me to come home early more often, and I flared up at you. I got angry. "You weren't even around often, why did you care anyway?" I accused you of that, thinking you cared more about your career than our family. You fought back saying, just because you weren't around as much, didn't mean you cared any less. I brushed it off. To me, your actions spoke louder than your words.

This year, you missed my birthday for another work trip. I was sad. It seemed like once again, your career proved more important than family. I brushed it off again, because I'd grown used to it by then. But the night after my birthday, at 4am on a highway, I remembered the reason you weren't around.

I forget.

You work hard because you didn't have the best education, the best qualifications, but you want the best life for your children. You pay for trips I tag along on, my new clothes, my makeup, my braces, my nails, my hair and countless other expenses. Yet the money you make, I rarely see you spend on yourself. Sometimes you even skip lunch and most times you skip dinner.

I forget. 

You iron my clothes for me every weekend, you clean my room when you get the chance to. When I'm sick, you make sure I get what I need and eat what I should. You never rejected a request I made to spend time together when you're around, even if you have work to do and in spite of the fact that I seldom agree to your requests.

I forget. 

When I was a baby, the many problems I caused for you and Dad. The many hospital trips and sleepless nights. The countless buckets of puke you cleaned out because of me. When I was a toddler, the many scrapes and bruises you bandaged and kissed, "all better now". When I became a teenager, the cuts and bruises were deeper, harder to see and harder to heal. But you bandaged them no less, reassuring me, "no matter what happens today, the sun will rise tomorrow and it will be a better day because nothing is forever". Through it all, you were as constant and rock solid as the fact that the sun would rise tomorrow.

I have done many things you don't approve of but you've supported me through it anyway. In my world your support shines as brightly as the sun does in this one. Although the clouds of my doubts sometimes cover your sun, you're always there, silently supporting and holding my world together. Even and especially on the days where I'm not strong enough to keep it from crashing down around me, on my own.

妈妈,对不起,我对你不孝顺。But thank you for loving me anyway.

I've never made you proud, but you've made me proud.
I'm proud and thankful to call you Mom. 
Happy Mother's Day.
I love you more than I can ever express.






-R

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love

Anger